...observations and ramblings from a learner and traveler...

08 April 2012

The Prophetic Nature of the Lord's Communion Supper

Here are a few more thoughts to accompany my last post on The Last Supper and First Communion Celebration.

And when the hour came, he reclined at table, and the apostles with him. And he said to them, “I have earnestly desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer. For I tell you I will not eat it until it is fulfilled in the kingdom of God.” And he took a cup, and when he had given thanks he said, “Take this, and divide it among yourselves. For I tell you that from now on I will not drink of the fruit of the vine until the kingdom of God comes.” And he took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to them, saying, “This is my body, which is given for you. Do this in remembrance of me.” And likewise the cup after they had eaten, saying, “This cup that is poured out for you is the new covenant in my blood.  (Luke 22:14-20 ESV)

I have regularly heard of the MEMORIAL aspect of the Christ-ordained ritual we have recorded above (vs. 19; also, 1 Cor 11:24, 25).  In the last couple years, I have become familiar also with the PROCLAIMING aspect of the Supper mentioned in 1 Corinthians 11:26, "For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lord's death until he comes."  But, it was not until considering this passage this weekend that I became aware of the PROPHETIC aspect of the supper.  

Notice the highlighted section from verse 16.  Jesus is saying that the Supper will one day be fulfilled in His Kingdom.  One somewhat loose translation amplifies the statement as follows, "For I tell you now that I won’t eat this meal again until its meaning is fulfilled in the Kingdom of God." (NLT).  This amplification seems to be in line with what the passage is saying.  

Here are some thoughts, and I would be glad of critique or comment.  I believe Jesus, the great Lamb, is saying that the meaning of the Supper is in His death for the people of God, His Bride, bought from every kindred, tongue, people, and nation.  He is going to be broken and poured out for them as a sacrifice.  They are to remember and to proclaim this sacrifice through this Supper, but they must also look forward.  There is coming a Day... a Great Day when the Lamb will have gathered all whom He bought to Himself, when every blood-washed sinner is drawn near to the face of GOD... and, on that Day, the Lamb will celebrate the Supper with all of His people.  It will be the biggest party, the greatest celebration, the most lavish banquet of all time (and maybe of eternity), as the fulfillment of the greatest event and message is fulfilled in the matchless splendor which its Author and Perfecter intended.  

Oh! THAT will be Glory!

No comments:

Post a Comment