...observations and ramblings from a learner and traveler...

01 January 2013

Top Recommendations from 2012

 This year with many hours of traveling in addition to my normal inclination towards reading, I have a rather extensive list of good reads.  Mostly I read (or listen) on my Kindle, so the links below are generally to those books.  I have bolded the books that are always or often free on Amazon. 

The Crescent Through the Eyes of the Cross (Nabeel Jabbour) - Most influential book in calling me to new thoughts this year; there's some things ome might disagree with, but very little that should simply dismissed.  Excellent!

What the Dog Saw (Malcolm Gladwell) - We have listened to each of Gladwell's books and loved them!  This one is no exception as he again captured both Bethany's and my attention.

Riddler's Gift & Second Sight (Greg Hamerton) - I have thoroughly enjoyed both books in this newer fantasy series and look forward to the rest!

Between Two Fires (Jack Kincade & Ron Brackin) - Previously posted about here, this is the unexpected story of evangelical, Palestinian Christ-followers.

Comstock Lode (Louis L'Amour)- Best Western of the Year; odd that I'd never read it before since I've read most of his other works.

The Prince of India (Lew Wallace) - A two-volume classic which I'd never heard of about the fall of Constantinople in 1453.  Great plot and character development! (Previous review here).

A Passion for the Impossible (Miriam Rockness) - Well-written biography of Lilias Trotter after whom we named our second daughter.

Give Them Grace (Elyse Fitzpatrick)- Many parts of this parenting book are excellent; some parts have been practically unclear though.  We have benefited though we haven't completed it yet. "Good parenting will not save your children... not even if you follow this book perfectly." (paraphrase)

Robin: Lady of Legend (R. M. ArceJaeger) - A fun, young-adult level book that re-imagines the classic Robin Hood tale.
 
Classic Rereads: A Study in Scarlet and The Lord of the Rings

A couple of unexpectedly good novels that I got for free: Harrigan and The Discovery.

IN OTHER AREAS:
Set - This 'family game of visual perception' was definitely the best game that we learned this year.  We love it and are trying to spread the enjoyment of it! 

Dancing in the Minefields (Andrew Peterson)- This was easily my most-played new song this year; a deeply meaningful, Christian love song.

Here's my Recommendations from 2011.  I continued learning from both The Earth Shall Weep and Holiness by Grace this year as I have not rushed through either.  I also continued enjoying Bryan Litfin's Chiveis Trilogy which was completed this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment