...observations and ramblings from a learner and traveler...

25 December 2013

Top Recommendations from 2013

  This year, my life has been more obviously structured to learn and increase both knowledge and understanding; thus, I've read more on a variety of fronts.  I will recommend some of those books below; but first, a word about why I rarely add disclaimers to my recommendations: if you find something that you disagree with in a book, it is proof that your mind is engaged.  If I recommend a book, it is because I think the author has presented 'something' well from 'some' perspective.  In other words, I assume we all know that authors are neither omniscient nor inspired.  Thus, I hope all of us can critique something in any book we read.

The Lost History of Christianity (John Philip Jenkins) - This book is very appropriately named; it is also well-written and engagingly presented. The author is balanced in many areas where balance is difficult to maintain. It covers an area of Christian history that I've never heard dealt with properly, particularly the Asian and African churches which comprised up to 50% of the Church for many centuries. (My blog post about this book.)

Honor & Shame
 (my related blog post) - Several friends and I have spent much of this year digesting the meaning of Honor and Shame together; it is excellent and applies to a postmodern culture nearly as much as to an Asian one. (Shame Interrupted - is a more pastoral look at dealing with shame, while Redeeming Love is an excellent novel which explores the topic well.)

From Foreign to Familiar - A short, useful book about culture and adapting!

Mother of Wolves - This was an excellent novel which I got free on Kindle and was happily impressed by both the unusual setting and development of the plot! (Honorable Mention: In Search of Castaways - a prequel to Jules Verne's classic The Mysterious Island [free on Kindle])

Once There Was, Twice There Wasn't (Michael Shelton) - A book of classic Turkish fairy tales are retold for the delight and instruction of children or adults. A few of the stories were familiar to me from childhood, but most were new. Nasreddin Hoca would have appreciated Aesop, Brer Rabbit and Anansi.

The Corsair King (Mor Jokai) - Good historical fiction, much of this older author's work is available free.  This particular work is based on the same figure as "The Dread Pirate Roberts" in The Princess Bride! [free on Kindle]

Teaching English to Young Learners - This book by David Nunan has been a tremendous help with ideas and instruction, as I've tried to become a better teacher.

The Three Little Tamales - Easily wins best kid's book of the year as the final tamale outsmarts Senor Lobo.

Muhteşem Yüzyıl is my favorite soundtrack from the year, with Crayola Doesn't  Make a Color for your Eyes and Song of the Lonely Mountain being favorite individual songs, while the Piano Guys are the addictively good artists that I began really loving this year.

Previous Lists:
RECOMMENDATIONS FROM 2011
RECOMMENDATIONS FROM 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment