...observations and ramblings from a learner and traveler...

02 January 2016

2015 Book Recommendations

As my focus on language learning decreased this year, for the first time in several years I was able to read in a number of other areas that answered some questions I had or provided lots of new food for thought. Below I will give some of the top books I benefited from or enjoyed this year.

Biographical:  Letters Never Sent was a beautiful expression of a TCK's growth and struggles; I deeply appreciated it.  The biography, You will see Hoopoes, was an interesting account of other Christians who have lived in Turkey. And, Seabiscuit was a fascinating look about a great racehorse, but also about the entire time period that he lived in - very well written! 

Fiction: The Dune Chronicles were by far the most significant new work works of fiction that I read this year. They made for a great expansion of my fictional universes. The only time I remember encoutering another universe quite this complete is the Tolkien's Middle Earth.

Khaled Hosseini's  A Thousand Splendid Suns was also of great interest giving a perspective on Afghanistan over the course of decades.

Theology: Both Platon's A Summary of Christian Divinity and Chesterton's Orthodoxy were insightful, expressing the basic truths of the Bible from perspectives I've not heard before.
(Previous posts about these: my project, Scripture pointing to Christ,  mercy and justice,  'The reason to be progressive'.)

Also, Wu's Saving God's Face was filled with thought-provoking ideas regarding ways to formulate Christian theology so it will be fully expressed for all of life and all of humanity.

Devotional: A Gospel Primer had been recommended to me for years; and having finally read it, I understand why so many love it. It was good, especially the first part.

History: The Pope's Turkey Unveiled was an insightful and familiar account of Turkish history by two who lived here for many years.  (previous post)

English Teaching: Along with other briefer readings, Revell's Teaching Techniques for Communicative English and Harmer's How to Teach English provided useful suggestions and guidance along the way.

Those were definitely the reading highlights of the year. My top listening for the year was Billy Boyd's 'The Last Goodbye' from The Hobbit, beautiful stirring music and lyrics.


Recommendations from years past: 2014201320122011

No comments:

Post a Comment